STARC For Life Campaign
STARC is committed to providing a lifetime of Services, Training, Advocacy, Resources and Community Connections, for individuals with disABILITIES.
STARC seeks to achieve its mission by:
- Identifying individual needs and addressing them.
- Properly matching employees and individuals served to specific jobs, supports and programs.
- Making policies which are relevant to the programs and the individuals serviced.
- Providing resources in order to form a function.
- Building community support.
- Nurturing employee commitment and compassion.
STARC is one of our community’s most precious treasures. We began 40 years ago when a small group of parents decided to change the gloomy forecast predicted for their own children with special needs. The spark from these children in one classroom blazed a path for STARC to have today’s meaningful impact on the lives of thousands of participants throughout 5 parishes. STARC reaches out to help individuals with dis ABILITIES of ALL ages… from early intervention for infants and toddlers, to making sure senior citizens’ homes are clean and safe so they can age in place with dignity. Isn’t that the kind of independence and quality of life we all wish for?
By continuing to offer programs and services in early intervention, respite care, vocational services, home care and residential living options, STARC fulfills its mission of moving individuals through a life-long process toward independence. Today STARC is one of the largest employers in St. Tammany Parish and brings direct economic impact to the local community.
With strong vision and leadership, STARC has developed several social enterprise programs which provide quality services and/or products to customers in St. Tammany and other Florida parishes, the Greater New Orleans area, and into portions of Southeast Mississippi. STARC social enterprise programs provide jobs to more than 100 individuals with disABILITIES.
- Noah’s ARC Child Development Center: inclusive child day care facility serving infants, toddlers, and children from 6 weeks – 5 years of age.
- Better Way Services Mobile Crews and Enclaves: janitorial, lawn maintenance and grounds keeping services at customer’s business/home locations.
- Better Way Services Workshop: assembly, packaging and sale of Mardi Gras beads, plastic flatware, etc.
Though a planning process, the STARC board and management team have articulated a vision of expanded services and programs, involving more families and the community in the joyful growth of all citizens. STARC hopes to sustain its role for many more generations in St. Tammany and the surrounding area as the leading resource for all who care about individuals with special needs from cradle through end-of-life.
For more information, please see these links:
- Giving Levels & Specifics: How you can be a part of STARC for Life.
- STARC for Life Co-Chairs